Special Education Teacher/Autism and Developmental Disabilities
Essential Function: A professional position with responsibilities in the area of planning and implementing a therapeutic-educational program designed to benefit students with autism and developmental disabilities in their academic, physical, social, emotional and intellectual development, to the highest degree possible; supervised by school principal.
- Develop thoughtful, age-appropriate IEP goals based on the Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills – Revised (ABLLS) that meet the quality guidelines of the school and the district(s) we serve.
- Plan and implement a therapeutic-educational program within the guidelines of the school curriculum for students with autism and developmental disabilities assigned to his/her care and establish a warm, and nurturing relationship with students.
- Maintain timely and accurate reports and documentation of progress for each student, as required by the school, state, and referral districts.
- Study and apply the educational approaches (Applied Behavior Analysis and Structured Teaching) used by Esperanza School; utilize therapeutic educational methods and materials and plan for their appropriate use.
- Determine supplies and equipment needs for the class and advise appropriate administrator in advance of purchases.
- Meet with the school nurse to monitor students’ health and/or medical requirements.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings, Open House and, minimally, one parent meeting per year.
- Comply with teachers’ certification requirements and gain additional educational expertise through attendance at classes, conferences and training sessions held both at school and off-site.
- Keep well-informed about changing trends in autism and developmental disabilities field and recommend policies and procedures to increase effectiveness of program
Accompany students on field trips and community outings.
- Hold regular parent-teacher conferences and additional ones as needed, in order to inform parents of educational program and student progress.
- Provide training and duties for teacher assistant(s) and supervise and evaluate assistant’s performance on a regular basis.
- Supervise the preparation of bulletin boards, displays and exhibits to enhance the aesthetic qualities of the classroom and school areas.
- Adhere to students’ Behavior Intervention Plans developed by the Behavior Therapist/Behavior Analyst and attend regular meetings to be trained on these plans.
- Assist in collecting behavior data as directed by the Behavior Therapist/Behavior Analyst and ensure data collection continues in the absence of the Behavior Therapist.
Bachelor or Master’s degree in Special Education; Illinois State Certification in LBS I or LBS II, limited or unlimited (Previous Type 10); Endorsement in EBD, TMH, MH; bilingual in Spanish and English.