Essential Function: Responsible for essentially the same duties as the permanent classroom teacher in his/her absence. Assumes instructional leadership of the classroom, including coordination with and supervision of classroom assistants.
- Develop thoughtful, age-appropriate IEP goals that meet the quality guidelines of the school and the district(s).
- Plan and implement a therapeutic-educational program within the guidelines of the school curriculum for students assigned to his/her care and establish a warm, and nurturing relationship with students.
- Maintain timely and accurate reports and documentation of progress for each student, as required by the school, state, and referral districts.
- Study and apply the educational approach used by Esperanza School; utilize therapeutic educational methods and materials and plan for their appropriate use.
- Determine supplies and equipment needs for the class and advise appropriate administrator in advance of purchases.
- Meet with the school nurse to monitor students’ health and/or medical requirements.
- Attend and participate in faculty meetings, Open House and, minimally, one parent meeting per year.
- Comply with teachers’ certification requirements and gain additional educational expertise through attendance at classes, conferences and training sessions held both at school and off-site.
- Keep well-informed about changing trends in field and recommend policies and procedures to increase effectiveness of program
- Accompany students on field trips and community outings.
- Hold regular parent-teacher conferences and additional ones as needed in order to inform parents of educational program and student progress.
- Provide training and duties for teacher assistant(s) and supervise and evaluate assistant’s performance on a regular basis.
- Supervise the preparation of bulletin boards, displays and exhibits to enhance the aesthetic qualities of the classroom and school areas.
- Ensure adherence to students’ Behavior Intervention Plans and attend interdisciplinary meetings as requested to revise these plans
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree with Illinois Type 39 Substitute Teaching certificate
Preferred: Pre-K-21 Initial or Standard Special Education teaching certificate